The Annie Beck House, in Middle River Terrace Park, is used as the clubhouse for the Fort Lauderdale Junior Woman’s Club.
As one of the first residents of Fort Lauderdale, Annie Beck arrived here in 1916 with her husband Alfred Beck, the city’s first pharmacist.
As a pioneering woman, she was a founder of the All Saints Episcopal Church, the 1919 Study Club, and the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society. She also founded the city’s first garden club and helped the city replenish its greenery after the devastation of the 1926 hurricane.
Annie was also friends with Ivy Stranahan, who was instrumental in bringing Fort Lauderdale Woman’s Club, of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, to Fort Lauderdale and was the first official president of the newly recognized Club. Annie later served as the 12th President (1924-25).
The Annie Beck House, now in Middle River Terrace Park, was built in 1905 and was originally located on East Las Olas Boulevard.
To learn more about Annie Beck, visit Knowing Annie.